Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Drip. Drip. Drip. THUNK.

I love spring, I really do.  But I will never be crazy about unpredictable weather, at least not when I have to drive in it.

So I left the office half an hour early today because it was supposed to storm, and since it's usually a 45 minute drive home (because of traffic more than distance) I wanted to get out of there before it got too bad.  MISTAKE.  Almost as soon as I left it started pouring, and by the time I got onto the parkway (if you didn't read last week's post, that's the highway that runs through Pittsburgh) it was bucketing down rain and hailing.  Normally nobody likes to drive through the tunnel (there are several tunnels in Pittsburgh, but I only have to drive through one of them) but today it was a relief to be out of the deluge for a few minutes.  The weather hadn't improved any by the time I got out of the tunnel, and there was also some flash flooding/giant puddles going on.  Basically that means that every once in a while I would drive through a large patch of water and pretty much get blinded by the sheet of water that splashed up onto my windshield.  I have never been more terrified while driving, at least not recently.

Anyway, despite all this, the day was not ruined: by the time I got to my neighborhood the rain had basically stopped, for the time being, and so I went to the grocery store, then came home and baked cookies.  Gluten-free oatmeal white chocolate chip cranberry cookies, to be precise.  The storm picked back up again for a while, but I have cookies, my roommate is making cupcakes (which are also gluten-free!) that somehow involve peanut butter, marshmallow fluff, and buttercream frosting.  And we're having another Stitch 'n Bitch tonight (which is good, because there will be more people to get fat from our baking!)

So all in all, a kind of crazy day is turning out pretty well.

(Oh, and in case you're wondering...the title of this blog is in reference to the ceiling above our shower.  I knew it had been leaking for a while, but last Friday it finally decided to actually have a plaster cave-in.  So now there's a lovely big hole above our shower, and every once in a while the dripping from the rain is punctuated by the sound of grit falling.  This is the other reason weather is not particularly in my good books).

1 comment:

The Moldy Cannoli said...

dan and i have a ginormous hole in our shower too. not fun.