Saturday, May 7, 2011

I'm not dead yet...

Sorry for dropping off the face of the blogosphere for a bit, life is crazy.  I don't much feel like giving a recap of everything that has been going on, but I'll give a few highlights:

1. My apartment has a new roof!  This is exciting because now it won't rain into our bathroom anymore.  They still have to come back to fix the bathroom ceiling, but at least there haven't been any pieces of it falling on us recently.

2. Rebuilding Day is over!!!!!  (This is the crazy home repair volunteer day that the non-profit where I am doing AmeriCorps does every year.)  Repairing 30 houses in one day requires a crazy amount of planning and preparation, and we have basically been working on nothing else since January.  The event was Saturday, April 30th, and I am so glad it's over!  Of course we are still dealing with all kinds of wrap-up things, but the day itself was great.  Now of course we're going to be having a ton of smaller projects, so the work continues.

3. I had an unexpected amount of free time yesterday, so I decided to try my hand at watercolors again.  I walked to the art supply store to get some masking fluid (which I had been wanting to try) some nice watercolor paper that isn't really textured (I had no idea how much I disliked textured watercolor paper until I used this) and a new watercolor tray.  I used watercolors I already had, as I have accumulated a handful of tubes and a couple of sets over the years.  I also used watercolor pencils for small details and some regular colored pencils for texture, and I'm really pleased with how it turned out.  Maybe I will do some more?


No comments: